TREATMENT OF AORTIC DISSECTIONS USING A COMBINATION OF THE STABILISE AND CERAB TECHNIQUES — TECHNICAL NOTE
Introduction: Endovascular treatment of type B aortic dissection has focused on the covering of the proximal entry tear. However, recently, concern has emerged regarding the distal aortic remodeling and new techniques such as the Stent-Assisted Balloon-Induced Intimal Disruption and Relamination (STABILISE) technique have gained more acceptance. We describe a technical note regarding the combination of the STABILISE technique in addition to the Covered Reconstruction of the Aortic Bifurcation (CERAB) technique to achieve complete aortic remodeling.
Methods: The authors describe a stepwise approach regarding the endovascular repair of type B aortic dissections. A simple TEVAR is performed first. If the patient still shows signs of true lumen compression, a STABILISE technique is performed in order to achieve true lumen expansion and complete aortic remodeling. However, in some patients, false lumen perfusion and true lumen compression at the very distal aorta is maintained due to distal comunicating tears. In these patients, if there are still signs of infra-renal aortic or iliac compression/occlusion or distal thrombosis of the false lumen, a simultaneous CERAB is performed.
Conclusion: By combining these techniques, we aim to cover both the proximal tear and the distal comunicating tears resulting in a complete flap apposition, false lumen obliteration, re-expansion of the true lumen and achieve optimal remodeling.
2. Steuer J Björck M, Mayer D Wanhainen A, Pfammatter T, Lachat M. Distinction between Acute and Chronic Type B Aortic Dissection: Is there a Sub-acute Phase? EJVES. 2013; Vol 45: 627-631.
3. Verhoeven ELG et al., Looking for the Holy Grail in Acute/Subacute Type B Dissection. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2019; 57: 615-616.
4. Nienaber CA, Kishe S, Rousseau H, Eggebrecht H, Rehders TC, Kundt G, et al. Endovascular Repair of Type B Aortic Dissection. Long-term Results of the Randomized Investigation of Stent Grafts in Aortic Dissection Trial. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:407-416.
13. The VIRTUE Registry Investigators. Mid-term Outcomes and Aortic Remodelling After Thoracic Endovascular Repair for Acute, Subacute, and Chronic Aortic Dissection: The VIRTUE Registry. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014. 48: 363-371
14. Spinelli D, Benedetto F, Donato R, Piffaretti G, Marrocco-Trischitta MM, Patel HJ, et al. Current evidence in predictors of aortic growth and events in acute type B aortic dissection. J Vasc Surg. 2018. 68: 1925–1935
15. Fattori R, Montgomery D, Lovato L, Kische S, Di Eusanio M, Ince H, et al. Survival after endovascular therapy in patients with type B aortic dissection: a report from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection (IRAD). JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2013;6:876-682.
16. Faure EM, Canaud L, Agostini C, Shaub R, Böge G, Martyané C, et al. Reintervention after thoracic endovascular aortic repair of compli- cated aortic dissection. J Vasc Surg 2014;59:327-333.
5. Lombardi JV, Cambria RP, Nienaber CA, Chiesa C, Teebken O, Lee A,
et al. Prospective multicenter clinical trial (STABLE) on the endo-
composite device design. J Vasc Surg 2012;55:629-40.
6. Canaud L, Faure E, Ozdemir BA, Alric P, Thompson M. Systematic review of outcomes of combined proximal stent-grafting with distal
bare stenting for management of aortic dissection. Ann Cardio-
thorac Surg 2014;3:223-33.
7. Melissano G, Bertoglio L, Rinaldi E, Mascia D, Kahlberg A, Loschi D, et
al. Satisfactory short-term outcomes of the STABILISE technique for
type B aortic dissection. J Vasc Surg 2018;68: 966-75.
8. Hofferberth SC, Nixon IK, Boston RC, McLachlan CS, Mossop PJ. Stent-assisted balloon-induced intimal disruption and relamination in aortic dissection repair: the STABILISE concept. J Thorac Cardio-
vasc Surg 2014;147:1240-5.
9. Faure EM, Batti SE, Rjeili MA, Julia P, Alsac JM. Mid-term out- comes of
stent assisted balloon induced intimal disruption and relamination in aortic dissection repair (STABILISE) in acute type B aortic dissec- tion. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2018;56:209-15.
10. Grimme FA, Goverde PC, Verbruggen PJ, Zeebregts CJ, Reijnen MM. First Results of the Covered Endovascular Reconstruction of the Aortic Bifurcation (CERAB) Technique for Aortoiliac Occlusive Disease. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg (2015) 50, 638-647
11. Kamman AV, Brunkwall J, Verhoeven EL, Hejimen RH, Trimarchi S. Predictors of aortic growth in uncomplicated type B aortic dissection from the Acute Dissection Stent Grafting or Best Medical Treatment (ADSORB) database. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2013; 45: 627-631.
12. Lopes A, Melo RG, Gomes ML, Garrido P, Junqueira N, Sobrinho G, et al. Aortic Dissection Repair Using the STABILISE Technique Associated with Arch Procedures: Report of Two Cases EJVES Short Reports 2019. 42: 26-30
Surg. 2019 60(1):91-99
18. Molinari AC, Leo E, Ferraresi M, Ferrari SA, Terzi A, Sommaruga S, et
al. Distal Extended EndoVascular Aortic Repair (DEEVAR) Petticoat: a modified technique to improve false lumen remodeling in acute type B aortic dissection. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 59:300-305.