ENDOVASCULAR TREATMENT OF LATE THORACIC ENDOGRAFT MIGRATION
Introduction and Purpose: Endograft migration after EVAR is rare. There are even fewer reports in the literature describing endograft migration treatment in the thoracic aorta. We report a successful treatment of a migrated endograft after TEVAR.
Methods and Results: We report the case of a patient previously submitted to TEVAR, about 15 years ago. He was admitted in the Emergency Department for chest pain. After detecting the endograft migration with detachment from the neck, he was submited to a new endovascular procedure. We performed a partial repositioning of the proximal segment of the endograft with endotraction maneuvers using a balloon and a through-and-through guidewire, and we placed a proximal extention. The procedure was uneventful. Up to eight months of follow-up no complications were reported.
Discussion and Conclusion: Treatment of an endograft migration, specially when related to a type Ia endoleak or detachment from the neck, can be regarded as a vascular emergency as well as a technical challenge.
2. Almeida MJ de, Yoshida WB, Hafner L, et al. Factors involved in the migration of endoprosthesis in patients undergoing endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Bras. 2010 Jun;9(2):61–71.
3. Mosquera VX, Marini M, Cao I, et al. Challenging endovascular repair of a critical aortic endograft migration and massive type III
endoleak. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 Sep;11(3):257–9.
4. Bendermacher BLW, Stokmans R, Cuypers PW, et al. EVAR reintervention management strategies in contemporary practice. J
Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2012 Aug;53(4):411–8.
5. Klonaris C, Lioudaki S, Katsargyris A, et al. Late open conversion after failed endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Feb;59(2):291–7.
6. Ehrlich MP, Nienaber CA, Rousseau H, et al. Short-term conversion to open surgery after endovascular stent-grafting of the thoracic
aorta: The Talent thoracic registry. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008 Jun;135(6):1322–6.