Aortoesophageal fistula in a patient with carcinoma of the esophagus - Case report
Primary aortoesophgeal fistulas (AEF) are a rare but life-threatening condition because of substantial hemorrhage, requiring fast treatment to ensure patient survival. We report a case of a 69-year-old male with diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus who suffered an episode of hematemesis and hemorrhagic shock. Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy revealed an ulcerated lesion with pulsatile hemorrhage. CT-scan confirmed the diagnosis of AEF. A stent-graft was placed in the descending aorta to control bleeding, and 2 days later an esophageal stent was deployed to reduce risk of aortic graft infection. The patient was discharged 13 days after admission and had no other episode of GI bleeding in a 6-month follow-up period. TEVAR may be used as a palliative or bridge treatment of AEF.
2. Parodi JC, Criado FJ, Barone HD, et al. Endoluminal aortic aneurysm repair using a balloon-expandable stent-graft device: a progress report. Ann Vasc Surg. 1994;8:523-9.
3. González-Fajardo JA, Gutierréz V, Martin-Pedrosa M, et al. Endovascular repair in the presence of aortic infection. Ann Vasc Surg. 2005;19:94-8.
4. Allen RC, Sebastian MG. The role of endovascular techniques in aortoesophageal fistula repair. J Endovasc Ther. 2001;8:602-3.
5. Topel I, Stehr A, Steinbauer MG, et al. Surgical strategy in aortoesophageal fistulae: endovascular stentgrafts and in situ repair of the aorta with cryopreserved homografts. Ann Surg. 2007;246:853-9.
6. Jonker FHW, Heijmen R, Trimarchi S, et al. Acute management of aortobronchial and aortoesophageal fistulas using thoracic endovascular aortic repair. J Vasc Surg. 2009;50:999-1004, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2009.04.043.
7. Flores J, Shiya N, Kunihara T, et al. Aortoesophageal fistula: alternatives of treatment case report and literature review. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;10:241-6.
8. Ghosh SK, Rahman FZ, Bown S, et al. Survival following treatment of aortoesophageal fistula with dual esophageal and aortic intervention. Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2011;5:40-4.
9. Ajani JA, Barthel JS, Bentrem DJ, et al. Esophageal and esophagogastric junction cancers. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2011;9:830-87.