DESMOPLASTIC FIBROBLASTOMA ENTRAPPING BRACHIAL ARTERY — A UNIQUE CASE REPORT
Keywords:desmoplastic fibroblastoma, collagenous fibroma, neoplasm of connective and soft tissue, brachial artery entrapment
Desmoplastic fibroblastoma (DF), also known as collagenous fibroma, is a rare benign fibrous tumor, recently described. It occurs predominantly in trunk and upper limbs, and can appear at any age. The authors describe a case of a 42-yearold female patient with DF, with upper limb neurovascular compromise. Patient was submitted to block excision of the tumor mass and brachial artery, with arterial reconstruction (autologous interposition graft). The anatomopathological analysis was consistent with DF and the diagnosis was validated by an international external laboratory1. This is the first description in the literature of an DF involving an arterial segment.
2. Nielsen, G. P., O’Connell, J. X., Dickersin, G. R. & Rosenberg, A. E. Collagenous fibroma (desmoplastic fibroblastoma): a report of seven cases. Mod. Pathol. 9, 781–5 (1996).
3. Miettinen, M. & Fetsch, J. F. Collagenous fibroma (desmoplastic fibroblastoma): a clinicopathologic analysis of 63 cases of a distinctive soft tissue lesion with stellate-shaped fibroblasts. Hum. Pathol. 29, 676–82 (1998).
4. Nishio, J. Updates on the cytogenetics and molecular cytogenetics of benign and intermediate soft tissue tumors. Oncol. Lett. 5, 12–18 (2013).
5. Ogose, A. et al. Collagenous fibroma of the arm: a report of two cases. Skeletal Radiol. 29, 417–20 (2000).
6. Hasegawa, T., Shimoda, T., Hirohashi, S., Hizawa, K. & Sano, T. Collagenous fibroma (desmoplastic fibroblastoma): report of four cases and review of the literature. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 122, 455–60 (1998).
7. Beggs, I., Salter, D. S. & Dorfman, H. D. Synovial desmoplastic fibroblastoma of hip joint with bone erosion. Skeletal Radiol. 28, 402–6 (1999).
8. Osipov, V., Carrera, G. F. & Report, C. Case Report Collagenous Fibroma (Desmoplastic Fibroblastoma) with Vertebral Body Erosion. 2009, 10–12 (2009).
9. Jaafari-ashkavandi, Z., Shirazi, M. Y. & Assar, S. Desmoplastic fibroblastoma in maxillary alveolar bone mimicking an odontogenic lesion: a novel case report with review of literature. Turkish J. Pathol. (2016). doi:10.5146/tjpath.2015.01355
10. Bonardi, M., Gianni, V. & Precerutti, M. CASE REPORT US and MRI appearance of a collagenous fibroma (desmoplastic fibroblastoma) of the shoulder. 53–56 (2014). doi:10.1007/s40477-013-0051-8
11. Shuto, R. et al. CT and MR imaging of desmoplastic fibroblastoma. Eur. Radiol. 12, 2474–2476 (2002).