Post-traumatic femoropopliteal pseudo-aneurysm in a patient allergic to heparins
Post-traumatic pseudo-aneurysms of the femoral artery are a rare complication. They normally have iatrogenic causes and immediately appear. Less often, they appear at a later stage and are related with traumatisms, orthopaedic surgery, bone lesions, infections, etc. This report presents a case of a patient with allergy to heparin, and pseudo-aneurysm of the superficial femoral artery and 1st portion of the popliteal artery secondary to remote trauma in an extremity with serious deformities as a sequel. We performed conventional surgery using a posterior approach, and obtained a satisfactory outcome and evolution.
2. Raherinantenaina F, Rajaonanahary TM, Rakoto Ratsimba HN. Femoral artery pseudoaneurysms encountered in orthopedics and traumatology. J Mal Vasc. 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmv.2015.08.001.
3. Regus S, Lang W. Arterial injury and pseudoaneurysm formation after lesser trochanter fracture. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;14:4-6.
4. Aldemir M, Adali F, Akci Ö, et al. A rare para-anastomotic femoral artery aneurysm in a patient with history of femoro-popliteal bypass graft occlusion. Int J Surg Case Rep.
5. Mahfood Haddad T, Vallabhajosyula S, Sundaragiri PR, et al. Mycotic pseudoaneurysm by vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus: a rare cause of persistent bacteraemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2014-209003.
6. Papacharalampous G, Galyfos G, Geropapas G, et al. False arterial aneurysm due to long bone exostosis: presentation of two cases and update on proper management. Ann Vasc Surg. 2015;29, 842.e19-22.
7. Karkos CD, Kalogirou TE, Giagtzidis IT, et al. Ruptured mycotic common femoral artery pseudoaneurysm: fatal pulmonary embolism after emergency stent-grafting in a drug abuser. Tex Heart Inst J. 2014;41:634-7.
8. Azghari A, Bouayad M, Belmir H, et al. Vascular type of Ehlers---Danlos syndrome: a rare cause of spontaneous pseudoaneurysms. J Mal Vasc. 2010;35:254-8.
9. Baril DT, Carroccio A, Palchik E, et al. Endovascular treatment of complicated aortic aneurysms in patients with underlying arteriopathies. Ann Vasc Surg. 2006;20:464-71.
10. Ko GY, Byun JY, Choi BG, et al. The vascular manifestations of Behc¸et disease: angiographic and CT findings. Br J Radiol. 2000;73:1270-4.
11. Rancic Z, Pecoraro F, Pfammatter T, et al. Less invasive (common) femoral artery aneurysm repair using endografts and limited dissection. EJVES. 2013;45:481-7.
12. Midy D, Berard X, Ferdani M, et al. A retrospective multicenter study of endovascular treatment of popliteal artery aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:850-6.
13. Piazza M, Menegolo M, Ferrari A, et al. Long-term outcomes and sac volume shrinkage after endovascular popliteal artery aneurysm repair. EJVS. 2014;48:161-8.
14. Silistreli E, Karabay Ö, Erdal C, et al. Behc¸et’s disease: treatment of popliteal pseudoaneurysm by an endovascular stent graft implantation. Ann Vasc Surg. 2004;18:
15. Jacobowitz G, Cayne NS. Lower extremity aneurysms. In: Cronenwett JL, Johnston KW, editors. Rutherford’s vascular surgery. 8th ed. China: Saunders; 2014. p. 2190-205.
16. Eslami MH, Rybin D, Doros G, et al. Open repair of asymptomatic popliteal artery aneurysm is associated with better outcomes than endovascular repair. J Vasc Surg. 2015;61:663-9.
17. Pulli R, Dorigo W, Castelli P, et al. A multicentric experience with open surgical repair and endovascular exclusion of popliteal artery aneurysms. EJVS. 2013;45:
18. Huang Y, Gloviczki P, Oderich GS, et al. Outcomes of endovascular and contemporary open surgical repairs of popliteal artery aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2014;60, 631-8.e2.
19. Dorweiler B, Gemechu A, Doemland M, et al. Durability of open popliteal artery aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2014;60:951-7.
20. Cina CS. Endovascular repair of popliteal aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:1056-60.
21. Ravn H, Wanhainen A, Björck M. Surgical technique and longterm results after popliteal artery aneurysm repair. Results from 717 operated legs. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46:
22. Claes Y, van Hemelrijck J, van Gerven M, et al. Influence of hydroxyethyl starch on coagulation in patients during the perioperative period. Anesth Analg. 1992;75:24-30.
23. Conroy JM, Fishman RL, Reeves ST, et al. The effects of desmopressin and 6% hydroxyethyl starch on factor VIIIC. Anesth Analg. 1996;83:804-7.
24. Wilkes MM, Navickis RJ, Sibbald WJ. Albumin versus hydroxyethyl starch in cardiopulmonary bypass surgery: a meta-analysis of postoperative bleeding. Ann Thorac Surg.
25. Haisch G, Boldt J, Krebs C, et al. Influence of a new hydroxyethylstarch preparation (HES 130/0.4) on coagulation in cardiac surgical patients. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth.
26. Schramko AA, Suojaranta-Yinen RT, Kuitunen AH, et al. Rapidly degradable hydroxyethyl starch solutions impair blood coagulation after cardiac surgery: a prospective randomized trial. Anesth Analg. 2009;108:30---6.