RISKS FACTORS FOR AORTIC CALCIFICATION AND IMPACT OF NECK AND ANEURYSM SAC CALCIFICATION ON SAC DYNAMICS
Aneurysm sac shrinkage represents an important determinant of absence of early complications after EVAR. However, it occurs in about 60% of patients. Proximal neck and aneurysm sac calcification seem to constitute risk factors for absence of shrinkage, however its real impact is still under intense debate. Besides, despite well described risk factors for aortic calcification, data regarding its influence in the several aortic sectors is still scarce. Given the morphologic alterations visible in dilated arteries, a different hemodynamic activation is expected. The aim of this review is to describe which risk factors contribute to proximal neck and aneurysm sac calcification as well as the respective importance of calcification of each sector in aneurysm sac shrinkage, after EVAR.
aortic aneurysms clinical practice guidelines of the European
society for vascular surgery. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg : the official
journal of the European Society for Vascular Surgery 2011;41
2. Katzen BT, Dake MD, MacLean AA, Wang DS. Endovascular
repair of abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysms. Circulation
3. Kent KC. Clinical practice. Abdominal aortic aneurysms. N Eng J
4. Georgakarakos E, Georgiadis GS, Ioannou CV, Kapoulas KC, Trellopoulos
G, Lazarides M. Aneurysm sac shrinkage after endovascular
treatment of the aorta: beyond sac pressure and endoleaks.
Vascular Medicine (London, England) 2012;17:168-73.
5. Aoki A, Suezawa T, Sangawa K, Tago M. Effect of type II endoleaks
and antiplatelet therapy on abdominal aortic aneurysm shrinkage
after endovascular repair. J Vasc Surg 2011;54:947-51.
6. Cieri E, De Rango P, Isernia G, et al. Effect of stentgraft model on
aneurysm shrinkage in 1,450 endovascular aortic repairs. Eur J
Vasc Endovasc Surg : the official journal of the European Society
for Vascular Surgery 2013;46:192-200.
7. Oliveira-Pinto J, Oliveira N, Bastos-Goncalves F, et al. Long term
results of outside “instructions for use” EVAR. J Cardiovasc Surg 2011.
8. Sampaio SM, Panneton JM, Mozes GI, et al. Proximal type I endoleak
after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair:
predictive factors. Ann Vasc Surg 2004;18:621-8.
9. Love M, Wray A, Worthington M, Ellis P. Failure of aneurysm sac
shrinkage after endovascular repair; the effect of mural calcification.
Clinical radiology 2005;60:1290-4.
10. Jayalath RW, Mangan SH, Golledge J. Aortic calcification. Eur J Vasc
Endovasc Surg : the official journal of the European Society for
Vascular Surgery 2005;30:476-88.
11. Virchow R. Cellular pathology. 2nd ed. London JC, 1858. .
12. Rokitansky K. The organs of circulation: a manual of pathological
anatomy. Philadelphia BL, 1855.
13. Abedin M, Tintut Y, Demer LL. Vascular calcification: mechanisms
and clinical ramifications. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and
vascular biology 2004;24:1161-70.
14. Doherty TM, Fitzpatrick LA, Inoue D, et al. Molecular, endocrine,
and genetic mechanisms of arterial calcification. Endocrine reviews
15. Doherty TM, Fitzpatrick LA, Shaheen A, Rajavashisth TB, Detrano
RC. Genetic determinants of arterial calcification associated with
atherosclerosis. Mayo Clinic proceedings 2004;79:197-210.
16. Allison MA, Criqui MH, Wright CM. Patterns and risk factors for
systemic calcified atherosclerosis. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis,
and vascular biology 2004;24:331-6.
17. O’Donnell CJ, Chazaro I, Wilson PW, et al. Evidence for heritability
of abdominal aortic calcific deposits in the Framingham Heart
Study. Circulation 2002;106:337-41.
18. Dixon AK, Lawrence JP, Mitchell JR. Age-related changes in the
abdominal aorta shown by computed tomography. Clinical Radiology
19. Matsushita M, Nishikimi N, Sakurai T, Nimura Y. Relationship
between aortic calcification and atherosclerotic disease
in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm. International
angiology : a journal of the International Union of Angiology
20. Niskanen LK, Suhonen M, Siitonen O, Lehtinen JM, Uusitupa MI.
Aortic and lower limb artery calcification in type 2 (non-insulin-
-dependent) diabetic patients and non-diabetic control subjects.
A five year follow-up study. Atherosclerosis 1990;84:61-71.
21. Faxon DP, Creager MA, Smith SC, Jr., et al. Atherosclerotic Vascular
Disease Conference: Executive summary: Atherosclerotic Vascular
Disease Conference proceeding for healthcare professionals
from a special writing group of the American Heart Association.
22. Nakamura U, Iwase M, Nohara S, Kanai H, Ichikawa K, Iida M.
Usefulness of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement:
correlation with abdominal aortic calcification. Hypertension
research : official journal of the Japanese Society of Hypertension
23. Kimura K, Saika Y, Otani H, Fujii R, Mune M, Yukawa S. Factors
associated with calcification of the abdominal aorta in hemodialysis
patients. Kidney international Supplement 1999;71:S238-41.
24. Miwa Y, Tsushima M, Arima H, Kawano Y, Sasaguri T. Pulse pressure
is an independent predictor for the progression of aortic wall
calcification in patients with controlled hyperlipidemia. Hypertension
25. Demer LL. Cholesterol in vascular and valvular calcification. Circulation
26. Taniwaki H, Ishimura E, Tabata T, et al. Aortic calcification in
haemodialysis patients with diabetes mellitus. Nephrology,
dialysis, transplantation : official publication of the European
Dialysis and Transplant Association - European Renal Association
27. Tatami Y, Yasuda Y, Suzuki S, et al. Impact of abdominal aortic
calcification on long-term cardiovascular outcomes in patients
with chronic kidney disease. Atherosclerosis 2015;243:349-55.
28. Szulc P. Abdominal aortic calcification: A reappraisal of epidemiological
and pathophysiological data. Bone 2016;84:25-37.
29. Walsh CR, Cupples LA, Levy D, et al. Abdominal aortic calcific
deposits are associated with increased risk for congestive heart
failure: the Framingham Heart Study. American heart journal
30. Wilson PW, Kauppila LI, O’Donnell CJ, et al. Abdominal aortic calcific
deposits are an important predictor of vascular morbidity and
mortality. Circulation 2001;103:1529-34.
31. Hollander M, Hak AE, Koudstaal PJ, et al. Comparison between
measures of atherosclerosis and risk of stroke: the Rotterdam
Study. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 2003;34:2367-72.
32. Bastos Goncalves F, Voute MT, Hoeks SE, et al. Calcification of
the abdominal aorta as an independent predictor of cardiovascular
events: a meta-analysis. Heart (British Cardiac Society)
33. Tintut Y, Demer LL. Recent advances in multifactorial regulation
of vascular calcification. Current opinion in lipidology
34. Gitlitz DB, Ramaswami G, Kaplan D, Hollier LH, Marin ML. Endovascular
stent grafting in the presence of aortic neck filling defects:
early clinical experience. J Vasc Surg 2001;33:340-4.
35. Albertini J, Kalliafas S, Travis S, et al. Anatomical risk factors for
proximal perigraft endoleak and graft migration following endovascular
repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Eur J Vasc Endovasc
Surg : the official journal of the European Society for Vascular
36. Bastos Goncalves F, Hoeks SE, Teijink JA, et al. Risk factors for
proximal neck complications after endovascular aneurysm
repair using the endurant stentgraft. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg :
the official journal of the European Society for Vascular Surgery
37. Kaladji A, Daoudal A, Dumenil A, et al. Predictive Models of Complications
after Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Ann Vascular
38. Wyss TR, Dick F, Brown LC, Greenhalgh RM. The influence of
thrombus, calcification, angulation, and tortuosity of attachment
sites on the time to the first graft-related complication after
endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2011;54:965-71.
39. Matsushita M, Ikezawa T. Factors affecting the regression of
surgically replaced abdominal aortic aneurysms. Surgery Today
40. Gawenda M, Knez P, Winter S, et al. Endotension is influenced by
wall compliance in a latex aneurysm model. Eur J Vasc Endovasc
Surg : the official journal of the European Society for Vascular
41. Lindholt JS. Aneurysmal wall calcification predicts natural
history of small abdominal aortic aneurysms. Atherosclerosis
42. Li ZY, J UK-I, Tang TY, Soh E, See TC, Gillard JH. Impact of calcification
and intraluminal thrombus on the computed wall stresses of
abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg 2008;47:928-35.