CYSTIC ADVENTITIAL DISEASE OF THE POPLITEAL ARTERY PRESENTING AS ACUTE LIMB ISCHEMIA : POPLITEAL ARTERY’S CAD PRESENTING AS ALI
Introduction: Cystic adventitial disease is a rare cause of intermittent claudication. Its presentation as acute limb ischemia is exceedingly rare. This disease is caused by the growth of multiple cysts within the adventitia. Although its etiopathogeny isn’t fully understood most evidence supports an embryonic defect during the development of non-axial arteries. Treatment includes several options: adventitial layer excision, percutaneous aspiration of the cysts and segmental arterectomy with bypass.
Methods: We present a case of acute limb ischemia caused by popliteal cystic adventitial disease. Clinical Case: A 60 years old male presented with acute limb ischemia of the right leg. Duplex ultrasound showed a tight stenosis of the popliteal artery caused by adventitial cysts. The patient was intervened: from a posterior approach an excision of the cysts and adventitial layer was performed with total recovery of foot’s perfusion and pedal pulse. After 18 months of follow-up the patient is asymptomatic without imagiological evidence of recurrence.
Conclusions: Due to the disease’s rarity there are no studies designed to compare the different treatment strategies for this pathology. However, the available data from case series shows that the surgical technique chosen for this patient presents very good results and, therefore, it seems to be a good therapeutic option assuming a patent popliteal artery without intimal lesion. Clinical presentation as acute limb ischemia isn’t described in the literature and isn’t today understandable because the factors affecting mucin secretion rate by cyst’s mesenchymal cells are unknown.
of the left external iliac artery. Br J Surg. 1947, Vols. 34:165–75.
2. França M, Pinto J, Machado R, Fernandez G. Bilateral Adventitial
Cystic Disease of the Popliteal Artery. Radiology. 2010, Vols.
3. Flanigan DP, Burnham SJ, Goodreau JJ, Bergan JJ. Summary of cases
of adventitial cystic disease of the popliteal artery. Ann Surg.
1979, Vols. 189:165–75.
4. Elias DA, White LM , Rubenstein JD , Christakis M , Merchant N.
Clinical evaluation and MR imaging features of popliteal artery
entrapment and cystic adventitial disease. AJR Am J Roentgenol.
2003, Vols. 180:627–632.
5. Maged IM, Turba UC, Housseini AM, Kern JA, Kron IL, Hagspiel KD. High
spatial resolution magnetic resonance imaging of cystic adventitial
disease of the popliteal artery. J Vasc Surg. 2010, Vols. 51(2):471–4.
6. Holden A, Merrilees S, Mitchell N, Hill A. Magnetic resonance
imaging of popliteal artery pathologies. Eur J Radiol. 2008, Vols.
7. Brodmann M, Stark G, Pabst E, Seinost G, Schweiger W, Szolar D, et al.
Cystic adventitial degeneration of the popliteal artery — the diagnostic
value of duplex sonography. Eur J Radiol. 2001, Vols. 38(3):209–12.
8. Ishikawa K, Mishima Y, Kobayashi S. Cystic adventitial disease of
the popliteal artery. Angiology. 1961, Vols. 12:357–66.
9. P.W.J. van Rutte, E.V. Rouwet, E.H.J. Belgers, R.F. Lim, J.A.W. Teijink. In
Treatment of Popliteal Artery Cystic Adventitial Disease, Primary
Bypass Graft not Always First Choice: Two Case Reports and a Review
of the Literature. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011, Vols. 42, 347–354.
10. Wright LB, Matchett WJ , Cruz CP , et al. Popliteal artery disease:
diagnosis and treatment. RadioGraphics. 2004, Vols. 24 : 467–479.
11. Levien LJ, Benn CA. Adventitial cystic disease: a unifying hypothesis.
J Vasc Surg. 1998, Vols. 1998 ; 28 ; 193–205.
12. Ricci P, Panzetti C, Mastantuono M, Bassetti E, Iascone C, Ragonesi B, et
al. Cross-sectional imaging in a case of adventitial cystic disease of the
popliteal artery. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 1999, Vol. 22(1):71e4.
13. Cassar K, Engeset J. Cystic adventitial disease: a trap for the
unwary. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg . 2005, Vols. 29(1):93–6.
14. Jones DW, Rezayat C, Winchester P et al. Adventitial cystic disease
of the femoral vein in a 5-year-old boy mimicking deep venous
thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 2012, Vol. 55, 2, 522–524.
15. Chiche L., Barranger B., Cordoliani Y.S., Darrieus H., Guyon P., Vicq
P. Two cases of cystic adventitial disease of the popliteal artery. J
Mal Vasc. 1994, Vols. 19: pp. 57–61.
16. Galle C., Cavenaile J.C., Hoang A.D., Minh T.L., Peny M.O., Braude P.,
et al. Adventitial cystic disease of the popliteal artery communicating
with the knee joint. J Vasc Surg. 1998, Vols. 28: pp. 738–741.
17. Buijsrogge M.P., van der Meij S., Korte J.H., Fritschy W.M. “Intermittent
claudication intermittence” as a manifestation of adventitial
cystic disease communicating with the knee joint. Ann Vasc Surg.
2006, Vols. 20: pp. 687–689.
18. Vanhoenacker F.M., Vandevenne J.E., De Schepper A.M., De Leersnijder
J. Regarding “Adventitial cystic disease: a unifying hypothesis”.
J Vasc Surg . 2000, Vols. 31: pp. 621–622.
19. Ejrup B, Hiertonn T. Intermittent claudication: three cases treated
by free vein graft. Acta Chir Scand. 1954, Vols. 108:217–30.
20. Hiertonn T, Lindberg K. Cystic adventitial degeneration of the
popliteal artery. Acta Chir Scand. 1957, Vols. 113(1):72–7.
21. Tytgat H, Derom F, Galinsky A. Cystic degenerescence of the popliteal
artery treated with nylon graft. Acta Chir Belg. 1958, Vols.
22. JG, Holmes. Cystic adventitial degeneration of the popliteal
artery. J Am Med Assoc. 1960, Vols. 173:654–6.
23. C, Mentha. Adventitial cystic degeneration or bursitis of the
popliteal artery. J Chir. 1965, Vols. 89:173–80.
24. Deutsch AL, Hyde J, Miller SM, Diamond CG, Schanche AF. Cystic
adventitial degeneration of the popliteal artery: CT demonstration
and directed percutaneous therapy. AJR Am J Roentgenol.
1985, Vol. 145(1):117e8.
25. M, Khoury. Failed angioplasty of a popliteal artery stenosis
secondary to cystic adventitial diseaseea case report. Vasc Endovascular
Surg. 2004, Vols. 38(3):277–80.
26. de Klerk G, The RM, Zeeuwen WJ, Akkersdijk WL, van de Pauoordt
HD, de Vries JP. Cystic adventitial degeneration of the popliteal
artery; an unexpected cause of intermittent claudication. Ned
Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2005, Vols. 149(32):1802–7.
27. Baxter A.R., Garg K., Lamparello P.J., Mussa F.F., Cayne N.S., Berland
T. Cystic adventitial disease of the popliteal artery: is there a
consensus in management? Vascular. 2011, Vols. 19: pp. 163–166.
28. Rückert R.I., Taupitz M. Cystic adventitial disease of the popliteal
artery. Am J Surg. 2000, Vol. 180: pp. 53.
29. Melliere D., Ecollan P., Kassab M., Becqemin J.P. Adventitial cystic
disease of the popliteal artery: treatment by cyst removal. J Vasc
Surg. 1988, Vols. 8: pp. 638–642.
30. Shinsuke Kikuchi, et al. Clinical Results of Cystic Excision for
Popliteal Artery Cystic Adventitial Disease: Long-term Benefits
of Preserving the Intact Intima. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2014,
Vols. 28: 1567.e5–1567.e8.