POPLITEAL VEIN ANEURYSMS
Popliteal vein aneurysm is a rare but potentially fatal entity due to possible thromboembolic complications. The purpose of this paper is to describe two institutional cases and to review the literature. In one case the diagnosis was made after the occurrence of symptomatic pulmonary embolism and in another, incidentally. In both cases the treatment was by conventional surgery without perioperative complications. From the literary review, a total of 43 popliteal vein aneurysms published between 206 and 2016 were analyzed.
2. Maleti O, Luigi M, Collura M, Aneurysmes veineux poplitès expèrience personelle. Phlebologie 1997; 50: 53–59.
3. Labropouls N, Volteas S, Giannoukas A, et al. Asymptomatic popliteal vein aneurysm. Vasc Endovascular Surg 1996; 30: 453–457.
4. Dahl JR, Freed TA, Burke MF. Popliteal vein aneurysm with recurrent pulmonary thromboemboli. JAMA 1976; 236: 2531–2
5. Gabrielli R, Rosati MS, Siani A, et al. Management of symptomatic venous aneurysm. Scientific World J. 2012; Article ID 386478, 6 pages.
6. Debing E, Vanhulle A, Verhaeghe W, et al. Popliteal venous aneurysm with pulmonary embolism. J Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 14:343–6;
7. Maldonado-Fernandez N, Lopez-Espada C, Martinez-Gamez FJ, et al. Popliteal venous aneurysms: results of surgical treatment. Ann Vasc Surg 2013; 27: 501–9.
8. Bergqvist D, Bjorck M, Ljungman C. Popliteal Venous Aneurysm — A Systematic Review. World J Surg 2006; 30: 273–279
9. Sessa C, Nicolini P, Perrin M, et al. Management of symptomatic and asymptomatic popliteal venous aneurysms: a retrospective analysis of 25 patients and review of the literature. JVasc Surg 2000;32: 902–12.
10. Sessa C, Philippe N et al. Managment of symptomatic and asymptomatic popliteal venous aneurysms: A retrospective analysis of 25 patients and review of literature. J Vasc Surg 2000; 32: 902–911;
11. Aldridge SC, Comerota AJ, Katz ML et al. Popliteal venous aneurysm: Raport of two cases and review of the world literature. J Vasc Surg 1993; 18: 708–715.
12. Kearon C et al. Antithrombotic Therapy for VTE Disease. Prevention of VTE in Nonorthopedic Surgery Patients 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicans Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. CHEST 2012; 141: e227S-e277S.
13. Torbicki A, Perrier A, Konstatinides S et al. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pulmonary Embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC): Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism. European Heart Journal 2008; 29: 2276–2315.